Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dimmer working principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

zohaib

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dimmer working

hello every one!
can some one explain me the working principle of electronics dimmer based on triac?
which factor causes the variation of voltage?
does change in frequency cause it?
thanx

working principle of ups

Normal dimmers, the one we use everyday don't/can't change the output frequency.

If you are aware of the working of a phase-controlled rectifier then this is easy to understand. A dimmer simply controls the conduction on both sides of the sine-wave.

Say if you want half the power to be applied, then the firing angle will be set appropriately and therby applying less volt-sec and when you integrate it you'll know that average voltage applied is half.

zohaib

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanx for your answer
actually i am designing a ups and for its battery charging circuit i need to regulate the ac power i think the utilization of a dimmer circuit can be useful

You can use a bridge-rectifier with a filter capacitor(electrolytic) after the dimmer to produce a, more or less, constant DC voltage that can used to charge your batter but the whole solution is ad-hoc and you better do some extensive testing at low voltages before you move to line voltage.

So it is like
AC Line->Transformer(for testing at low voltages)->Dimmer->Bridget-Rectifier->Filter/Storage Capacitor(Electrolytic)->Fuse->Battery to be charged.

Also be very careful when testing at line voltages, some shocks can be pretty nasty and leave you numb for several minutes.

zohaib

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.