Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital volume control for speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

preeti.kr

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I have a analog potentiometer 100k which is used to control the volume of speaker. The flow is : Amplifier, volume control, speaker.
I am planning to convert this POTENTIOMETER Solution into digital .
But i m confused if any digital equivalent of potentiometer equivalent component is there ??
The potentiometer module in use is marked15 watt. Please share your comments if this is feasible.

Thank you all for sharing your points over this. Helped me to know many things. For me, the audio control is just very very new.
I had a requirement from someone regarding this, which i was not sure about the feasibility. The details i shared, was from them only. From all the discussion , i assume this kind of arrangement is not possible in practical.

But referring to FvM words, i had hope may be this arrangement is used in practical also.

So what can be a real solution, if An amplifier is placed at one place, had multiple speakers connected to it and we wish to do the volume control at the speaker end individually. Or is this never done ?? just wanted to know how it is done .
You surely won't use speaker potentiometer for HiFi sound systems, but for public address, e.g. broadcast speakers in hospitals or class rooms, it's not unusual. These system are also using higher voltage (e.g. 100 V) party lines and transformers to match individual speakers.

Hi,

You give no new information, although we asked for it.

From your post I guess you understand that there is no "general" and practical solution.
So it has to be a "tailored" solution.
But the difference between "general" and "tailored" is that the one will work somehow, even if you don't know details, but the other urgently needs details.

You ask for a tailored shirt without giving your measures.

Without details it's like "trial and error" while "error" in worst case means that something catches fire.

Klaus

Preeti, you said you are using a 5.1 amplifier. It has 5 normal amplifiers, each rated to drive one 4 ohms speaker or two 8 ohms speakers in parallel. NO MORE! How many speakers will you use on each amplifier??

A PA amplifier can drive up to hundreds of PA speakers. Each or some of the speakers can have its own volume control that has steps from off to loud. The amplifier has a transformer on its output and each speaker has its own transformer that takes only a little amount of the total amplifier power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back