Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Speedometer using discrete components and no use of microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsin

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to build a warning speedometer that will be capable of driving an 8 ohm speaker and the speaker will sound at 60mph and the tone increases and interrupted 10mph thereafter. It must also show a the values in 2 seven segment display. In addition I cannot used programmable chips. Can anyone please help me in my senior design project. I am struggling to build and design it. Thank you.

Can you use logic ICs?

For example the 74hcxx or CD4xxx logic family?

What is the input signal looking like, frequency, range?

You need something to produce pulses related to the speed, possibly something producing a signal once per revolution of a wheel.
Then you need an accurate timing circuit to open a gate for a predetermined period to allow the pulses to be counted within a known time period.
You can then relate pulses per period to speed in mph.
Then using binary comparators you compare the count digits with your 60/70/80 mph limits and operate your alarm as the numbers match.

It's much easier using a micro but the method of measurement is exactly the same if you do it with discrete logic devices.

An alternative but less acurate method is to use a frequency to voltage converter (maybe a charge pump circuit) to produce an analog voltage proportional to the speed then use voltage comparators to see if you have exceeded the speed thresholds.

Brian.

"Can anyone please help me in my senior design project. I am struggling to build and design it."

What happened in all the 3 years of doing the: "MASTERS OF ELECTRONICS" course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back