Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diffference between Totem pole and push pull outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

myatham

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
My design needs to connect 4 outputs of an IC to drive single RESET pin. I do not have open dran/collector output pins available. Can i use push pull or totem pole outputs pins (all tied together to drive RESET input of another MCU? What is the difference between Totem pole and push pull outputs?

Hello Myatham,

Open collector or open drain means that the output have only one transistor to ground and can therefor only pull an output to a low level. This allows you also to "wired-or" outputs(four in your case) together. If you have 3-state output you can use the enable output(with a low on the input) to function like an open collector output. If not you could use a push-pull output with a diode in series to allow only that a low level is given after the diode. This however adds the forward voltage of the diode to the low level. You may search also for "NPN/PNP/PP outputs" to research deeper into options.

Enjoy your design work!

Hello Myatham,

Open collector or open drain means that the output have only one transistor to ground and can therefor only pull an output to a low level. This allows you also to "wired-or" outputs(four in your case) together. If you have 3-state output you can use the enable output(with a low on the input) to function like an open collector output. If not you could use a push-pull output with a diode in series to allow only that a low level is given after the diode. This however adds the forward voltage of the diode to the low level. You may search also for "NPN/PNP/PP outputs" to research deeper into options.

Enjoy your design work!

Thanks for your reply.
It is good idea of implementing wired-OR by using an addtional diode at each output (Push-Pull).
Do you mean that both Totem-pole and push-pull I/O are same or any differences between?

Hello Myatham,

in the function there is not difference.

Enjyo your design work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back