Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

differential amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
If drain resistance in a differential amplifier is replaced by a current mirror, whether its voltage gain will increase or decrease or remain same? why?

sourav

i think u mean to say the current source ISS is replaced by an ideal one. in this case,the gain increase slightly and the o/p CM level becomes completely independent of the i/p CM level

Gain of differential amplifier with resistor load: Gm*Rload
Gain of differential amplifier with current mirror load: Gm*(rop||ron), where rop is the impedance looking into PMOS from the output port and ron is the impedance looking into NMOS from the output port.
Generally, rop||ron >> Rload, so the voltage gain of the current mirror load differential amplifer is much large than that of the resistor load one.

by replacing drain resistance with current mirror it converts balanced configuration to unbalanced output mostly and the gain of single ended output amplifier is hingher then conventional balanced output opretional amplifier.

sry i misunderstood the question,as the other ppl have pointed out ,the gain increases when we use a current source load but a problem tat arises is that the o/p CM level is not well defined .you need to use a CMFB circuit to define the O/P CM level

sourav said:
hi all,
If drain resistance in a differential amplifier is replaced by a current mirror, whether its voltage gain will increase or decrease or remain same? why?

sourav

It is single end output as you do.

I thinks the voltage gain depands on your design.

hi siddarthshukla,
I donot know what is cmfb ckt? cm is common mode voltage or anything else.

sourav

CMFB is common mode feedback ckt. it is when u need differentail output.

There is a free differential amplifier design example for you to get:

**broken link removed**

well it depends on the resistance of the current mirror. It normally increases since a resistor whose resistance is ro consumes too much power. Thus not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back