Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Different simulation results on HFSS11 and CST 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana1

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
It's about two months I'm looking for an explanation or an error of mine.
At first I have simulated a parametrized short backfire antenna on HFSS11 for the wifi band. Fo= 2.45 GHz.
After some optimization I achieved a VSWR between 1:1.3@ 2450
and 1:1.7@ 2400 and 2500 MHz with a directional gain of about 25 dBi.
This last value seemed to me too good when compared with internet literature.
So I decided to cross-test the same model using CST 2010 MWS.
This time the simulation yelded a completely out of tune VSWR around 1:160@ 2450 with a directional gain around 14 dB.
A larger frequency scan showed that, anyway, the 1:160 VSWR was a valley point.
I controlled the way I declared the ports (both simulations use microwave ports) but wasn't able to detect any error.
The most astonishing thing for me was that, while in the HFSS11 simulation a Smith plot of the antenna input impedance
vs frequency between 2.4 and 2.5 GHz shows near-coincident points at the 50 Ohm chart center, the CST simulation shows
an arc of the largest circumference instead.
Which one is the liar? I feel that both lie in some way but have no way to decide
Any hint will be highly appreciated.

hi,
although its too late...but do you that hfss file of short backfire antenna designed to operate at 2.4Ghz...if yes, than can you share it....because the antenna that i have designed in hfss (short backfire) is operateacle at 2.8Ghz and i want it to be at 2.4Ghz....if you have that file than do share....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back