Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences between measured and simulated results of antenna efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

YechielA

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I simulates a simple printed Inverted -F antenna at a frequency of 1.9 GHz using HFSS. I also measured the antenna in an anechic chamber.
The problem is that I get a large difference between simulated and measured results. While measured results show antenna efficiency of about 66%, measured results show no more then 27%. The printed antenna is printed on FR4 which is assumed to have a TAND of 0.02.

Hi,

I also have similar observations. I measured several printed antennas in an anechoic chamber. In some cases, the results were close but in other cases, there was a huge difference. HFSS gave a 94% efficiency of a printed monopole designed on FR4 substrate. However, when measured in Satimo anechoic chamber, the actual efficiency was only 56%. For the patch antenna, the measured readings were mostly the same.
If you get to know how to get accurate efficiency with HFSS, please share.
Also there is a Wheeler's cap method to test the antenna efficiency using network analyzer. I never get the correct reading using that method. If anyone knows about this method, please share.

"Wheeler's cap method" - didn't hear about it. I'll learn about it. There is a small test equipment also provided by EMSCAN called RFX/RFX2 for efficiency and radiation pattern. it does a near field to far field transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.