Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences between HF$$ 9.0 and 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redi

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can someone explain me differences between versions of HF$$ 9.0 and 9.1?

Thanks in advance,
Redi.

nothing other than HFSS being able to integrate with Designer in this newest version from what I understand.

/Dan

Basically it is like a service pack. It fixes lots of bugs - some of which severe. Today I had to restart 9.0 version like 25 times for it is veeery bugy. It crashes so often that at some point I got desperate. Especially the solid modeler is everything but solid. I will get a list of the features tomorrow and post here.
9.0 is so buggy for anything that is more complex that a simple structure that is hard to belive one can bear with it.
If you create a structure and would want to Edit and if it crashes - better delete and try to be good right next time. No mercy. One other issue that was driving me nuts - The whole post-procesiing part sucks. We had much better control in all previous releases. Things got unnecessarily complicated.
I will briefly summarise some points:

1. When one invokes the Port set-up. It opens a big dialog form ...to simply ask you the name of the port. To set up the few other things like impedance etc one must click like hell. Absolute nonsense - huge dialog form and no valuable input. Plus the port numbering is not remembered and one must always click and change it.
2. If one wants to export un-normalized Touchstone file - wave it goodbye - no more. Unlike all other releases.
3 The new city format is wrong - it made my ADS crashing like I could never do. It puts two quotes around the title (first and second line) that does not conform to the standard and ADS crashes badly. So, one must manually delete the quotes before able to read.
4. Apart from, now the CITY file contains sth. like PortZ1 or PortZn that conforms to the ADS vocabulary and automatically assume these port impedances. Workaround is to put one more symbol or delete those lines.
5. One can't select the modes to export. All ar nothing at all.
6. To change the scale on a graphics - one has to go over a damn clicking process. And if you want to make one change for all graphs - forget it. New graph - new clicking process.
7. I could not export any graphical format (JPEG, BMP, TIFF) of my plots. It only allows you to generate dat file for the old version, but most of the time I could not make it to work. I can't believe I must use CTRL-BSP to save pictures of the data plots.
8. I could not find a way to have MEASURE icon on the toolbar. It is simply annoying to click 4 times to get it done.
9. If one selcts vertex - the most useful double-click operation might be to do sth with the vertex (or edge or face etc). But not here. You can select it and enjoy the vertex. Same applies to edges - one can't sweep'em or do anything but watching their colors.
10. There isi no VB support - the scripts there are anything but useful. Seems that they replaced their zillions of syntax words (ex-Macro language crap) with comensurate number of unmemorable VB ones. It is anything but user friendly and useful.
11. If you work with main units, say mm - and select a variable to be say a=5mm, an expresiion of a+1 will displace you in the hell. One must always convert the added part to the main units. Nonsense either.

To recap - It is certainly a great leap forward in the right direction. If they maintain the robustness while porting the code - it will be great. One must not get obssessed with the object orientation - clicking after all is also hazardousjavascript:emoticon(':D'). Besides, it will be great that advanced users retain much control. Else, the speed is excellent and the solver too. But the modeller must be improved and I believe 9.1 is addressing the most severe crashes in it.
Well, that is my concise list of issues. If others want to share their thoughts it will be good to compile a list and send to the An$oft folks.

:roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back