Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference of process between FPGA design and ASIC design

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardyue

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Members,
What are the differences of process between FPGA design and ASIC design? I know the design process for FPGA, is it helpful for the design process for ASIC design?

Re: Difference of process between FPGA design and ASIC desig

Hi!!!

At my deep understanding FPGA it is part of ASIC.

ASIC it is a multitude of methods of designing of specific integrated circuits. Circuits is implement of special function.

FPGA it is programmed circuits.

While developing ASIC,FPGA can be used for protoyping of actual hardware.
In asic standard cells are given and we have to write only rtl description of the circuit.The place and route tool place these cells and give the output as the layout of these cells.
While FPGA consists of LUTs which can be configured by the bit file generated by the place and route tool.

Now a days we r using FPGA as a part of ASIC design.Majorly for design vaidation.
Main difference between asic and FPGA ,in ASIC every thing is constarined a lot (mainly space),but in fpga placement is not that much constrained,and also it depends a lot on standard blocks like muxes,etc.so we canot optimize timing at higher frequencies across boundaries etc.This is different with asic at synthesis we can to groupig, ungrouping,retiming etc as for our requirments to attain our goals.

As such constraints are affecting FPGA we will use it for functional validation at low frequencies

in FPGAs, u just need to connect the" already" available look up tables
so it is mainly about the connections between blocks to realise the functions u need

in ASICs, u have to choose the standard cells u need and make the placement and routing between them cause they are not already there as in FPGAs, so it is about placing them and connecting them also

that's roughly speaking for sure to give a simple idea

regards,
Salma:)

salma ali bakr,
Thanks for your concern about my problem. Would you like to send me some material? I really want to know how these two IC designs work because I want to find a job in this field in the near future. My e-mail: yuejx211@sohu.com. Thanks again for your help.

hi richard,

i just need to know more about your studies and what level you are in and what level u need to reac... to tell u the useful info directly:)

regards,
Salma

Hi, salma ali bakr,
I'm currently learning the design of ASIC/FPGA. I have a good understanding for the basic digital logic circuit, such as the basic combinational and sequential circuits. I'm also able to use these standard gates to build some other slightly larger standard building blocks, such as the full adder, carry lookahead adder, multiplexer, comparator and ALU, the datapath and control unit, etc. I want to work in the field of ASIC/FPGA design filed. Would you like to give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back