Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between SPI and DSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagavathi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Can anybody please explain me what is the difference between SPI and DSPI. I have searched in google it shows it is configurable that is what does it mean?

And also which application it is suitable when compared with classic SPI.

SPI already has configurable modes, they are just the default logic levels before data starts.

As far as I can tell DSPI is a product rather than a protocol. It is a building block that can be incorporated into other devices and consists of both a slave and master SPI interface.

Brian.

I have to guess, DSPI means "Dual SPI"? Please don't use abbreviations that aren't commonly understood.

Dual and Quad SPI is frequently offered as optional interface configuration of serial memory chips, e.g. NOR flash. You find detailed explanations in respective data sheets.

The only references I could find were to De-serial Serial Peripheral Interface which I guess means it can do the opposite of serialising, which I took to mean can be a slave or a master device. Perhaps it means it has a bi-directional data line although that technically means it doesn't meet SPI specs and would have trouble in a daisy chain configuration.

Show us a reference to its usage please Bagavathi.

Brian.

If the OP refers to the DSPI IP core, it's just regular SPI, nothing specific.

Both SPI and DSPI refer to same thing i.e. used to communicate with peripheral devices. However, SPI comes with configurable modes which you can't modify. In DSPI you can modify the configurable modes.

Modify in the sense, In runnung mode DSPI can be configurable ? and what are the parameter we can configurable

Status
Not open for further replies.