Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between pic and 80c51

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazt

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference in programing pic mcu and p89c51rd2(80c51 core) beside the memory organization.

The PIC is the most popular one, and has by far the best support available all over the Internet - to the extent that many people now use 'PIC' to refer to any micro-controller (just like people call a vacuum cleaner a 'Hoover').

But the 'best' is the one that does the job, any of the three should be perfectly satisfactory for most applications - either one might have a slight edge for some apps?, but none is universally 'better'. The PIC, being a RISC processor, is probably the easiest to learn? - but if you've already got experience on another processor I don't see much point in changing?.

--- My favorites ------
**broken link removed**

These days, almost everybody know a little of PICs.

The PICs are very simple to use, some very cheap and Microchip have all the soft or support that you need.

Exist also a lot of info in the NET and a lot of different software :D

i am doing my final year project on implimenting x10 protocoal for controlling lighting. I am using the P89c51RD2 with the uni-51-sdk. The x10 protocol is best implemented by using relocatable module . Is it possible to use relocatable module on 80c51 family and the udata and res directives as the pics

You are comparing the general PIC MCU with a specific 8051???

In my opinion:
- 8051 is rather old, but strong enough, cheap, provided by some manufacturers, so you can buy easily and repair/replace the old chip/system. Many people choose this chip since they are familiar with it so many years and do not want to deal with the others while they can still buy 8051 easily and cheap.

- PIC is rather new, much easier to learn, has very good support from Microchip and some third parties. Many PIC sizes of pin counts or memory sizes, capabilities to choose the right one for a specific project (while 8051 has only a few versions to choose). PIC prices are reasonable.

On the other hand, 1 instruction cycle (the same with machine cycle in 8051) of PIC consists of only 4 clock oscillations while at 8051 is 12. So you can design the better/more exact systems with PICs when precision needed.

nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.