Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between on/off and feedback control

Status
Not open for further replies.

garimella

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On/off control also takes feedback for processing and a PID also uses feedback to achieve its goal. Can we say that on/off is special type of feedback control where output hovers around a range of values.

Hi,

I'd say ON/OFF has nothing to do with feedback. It is the control method....how the load is beeing controlled.

ON/OFF is some kind of digital control method... In opposite to an analog control mechanism.
PWM is a fast ON/OFF control, withing the load with a triac or SCR is ON/OFF control, too.

PID is the calculation method, the algorithm...how to calculate the new control value.
The control value for an ON/OFF control can be the duty cycle.

Klaus

Systematically, on-off control is clearly a kind of closed loop respectively feedback control. It can be considered as P control with infinite gain.

An on-off closed loop shows permanent oscillations with a frequency determined by the control process.

In my view, pulse width modulation isn't on-off control. It's continuous, e.g. PID, control combined with a modulator.

can we just say that there are only 2 classification open and closed loop and in closed loop we classify them as either on/off, PID, feedforward, ratio or cascade based on requirement?

All control topologies where the controller output depends on the process value belong to the closed loop category.

Differences in control are made based on if they are linear or not.
There is the ON/OFF control, linear control (involves the standard transfer function and known regulators e.g. PID) and non linear control.

Hi,

In my view, pulse width modulation isn't on-off control. It's continuous, e.g. PID, control combined with a modulator.
Isn't ON/OFF the same as PWM, just with much lower freqeuncy?

Klaus

Isn't ON/OFF the same as PWM, just with much lower frequency?
Not the same, I think. Consider e.g. an on-off controlled heater operating with low duty cycle. The average temperature will be considerably above the set-point (and vary with duty cycle respectively heat demand). A PI controller with PWM keeps the average process value at the set-point temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back