Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between Emulation and Prototyping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikru26

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please differeniate in 5 or 6 points..difference btwn Emmulation and prototyping..
when we have to go for this..
issues and benefits of both..

Emmulation may be is same as Simulation but Prototyping is building it in real world!

Can you just explain little more..i understood that Emulation frequency will be in Mhz and Simulation will be in Khz and in prototyping too frequency will be in Mhz..but what
is the difference between Emulation and prototyping...

These three items are on a spectrum. In the prototype you have a physical circuit that works in the physical world.

On the opposite spectrum end is a simulation. You get a mathematical output of tabulated numbers or a graph. If it is a time domain analysis the computer time taken for the calculations may be different than the real world time simulated.

In the midddle is emulation. This is a hybrid of the two. One example is from the early days of microprocessors. There were computer programs with built in diagnostics that had the same function as a microprocessor. There was an interface cable from the compuer which had a plug that would fit into a PC card socket for the microprocessor to be emulated. The external PC card and circuitry would run as if there were a real microprocessor in the socket. The human could interface with the computer program diagnostics to find errors in the code stored on the PC card ROM.

Johnson said:
Emmulation may be is same as Simulation but Prototyping is building it in real world!

I don't think so as i heard somthing from one of My Professors that they are different issues...

Unfortunately, i was sleepy (as always :p) & didn't catch the difference...

So, speaking of Emulation, what's the major differences from emulation???

& when can they be used interchangeably,,

i guess it has to do with software (Sim) & hardware (Emu)

ur contribution is highly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back