Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between "current loop converter"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin yudha

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

What is the difference between "current loop converter" that uses 2, 3, or 4 wires? What is the difference active and passive side in "current loop converter". Thank You.

Regards,
YD4

Hi Erwin,

the following application report might help you to understand the function and the difference: **broken link removed** .

Enjoy your design work!

I get a lot of information from above document, thank you shared it here friend. I try to learn and understand the article, if I'm wrong please be guided.

From there, I was informed that the converter that GENERATES POWER SUPPLY called an ACTIVE side, while the converter which ONLY USES a POWER SUPPLY called PASSIVE side.

About CURRENT LOOP 2 WIRES:
  • 1. Current loop that uses TWO WIRES in ONE CLOSE LOOP.
  • 2. CLOSE LOOP consists of: POWER SUPPLY, TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER on the ACTIVE part and TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER on the PASSIVE part, BOTH OF THEM INSTALLED IN ONE CLOSE LOOP.
  • 3. This means that the PROCESS OF SENDING AND RECEIVING DATA between ACTIVE and PASSIVE side CAN'T SIMULTANEOUSLY (HALF DUPLEX). Really like it?

About CURRENT LOOP 4 WIRES:
  • 1. Current loop that uses FOUR WIRES in TWO CLOSE LOOP.
  • 2. The FIRST - CLOSE LOOP consists of: POWER SUPPLY, TRANSMITTER on the ACTIVE part and RECEIVER on the PASSIVE part, BOTH OF THEM INSTALLED IN ONE CLOSE LOOP.
    The SECOND - CLOSE LOOP consists of: POWER SUPPLY, RECEIVER on the ACTIVE part and TRANSMITTER on the PASSIVE part, BOTH OF THEM INSTALLED IN ONE CLOSE LOOP.
  • 3. This means that the PROCESS OF SENDING AND RECEIVING DATA between ACTIVE and PASSIVE side CAN BE DONE SIMULTANEOUSLY (FULL DUPLEX). Really like it?

How about current loop uses 3 wires? Is half duplex or full duplex? Is there an example of a simple circuit that is easy to understand the different of three types of current loop converter? Thank You

Regards,
YD4

Hi YD4,

the 3-wire is ground, current loop output and power supply line. So half duplex, like the 2-wire, but additional power supply line.

Enjoy your design work!

Hi HTA,

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back