Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between always and assign in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

vead

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am confused I want to know what is difference between always and assign and where they use

program 1st

Code Verilog - [expand]
module and2gate (A,B,Y);
input A,B;
output Y;
assign Y=A&B;
endmodule

program 2st

Code Verilog - [expand]
module and2gate (A,B,Y);
input A,B;
output Y
reg y
always@(AorB);
begin
Y<=A&B;
end
endmodule

which program is right please someone explain where we use always and assign syntax

Last edited by a moderator:

An assign statement is usually used for combinational logic.Of course, if your technology allows it, you could model a latch or sequential logic out of a combinational feedback loop. But that is very rare.

An always block can readily be used for either. Whether it is combinational or sequential depends on how you trigger the execution of the block, as well as ordering of reads versus writes to variables within the same block and between different blocks. So a single always block could represent both kinds of logic at the same time.

SystemVerilog added three flavors of always blocks: always_comb, always_latch, and always_ff, to specify your intent and to report when what you've modeled doesn't match the intent.

I have posted two program which one is right

the second one is right

They are both functionally correct, except that you should not use '<= non-blocing assignment operators with combinational logic.

+1 with dave_59. One very often does have non-blocking assignments within an always@ block because the block is generally executed on a clock or signal transition and not continuously.
An assign statement within a module is always/continuously made within the module.
If you don't need to qualify your combinational logic with synchronizing to a clock edge or other signal transition, it is generally preferred (to me anyway) to implement the combinational logic with the assign statement.

In the present example, the continuous assignment variant seems preferable already by it's conciseness. A behavioral modelling style and procedural assignments are often suitable for complex combinational logic, using e.g. conditional, case and looping statements.

Behavioral constructs, either for combinational or registered logic, involve much of the elegance and coding efficiency of Verilog or VHDL.

Reactions: zel

zel

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back