Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference among Transconductor, Gm, and OTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorX

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been seeing people use transconductor, gm, and operational-transconductance amplifier (OTA) interchangeably, but I am not convinced that they are the same. May I get an opionion on them in terms of:

(1) What are the types of input/outputs (voltage, current, etc)?
(2) What are the impedance of input/outputs (high, low, resistive, capacitive, etc)?
(3) What are the voltage swing at input/output (virtual ground, low, high, etc)?
(4) What is the difference between Gm-C, OTA-C filters?
(5) Yes, if OTA is also high-gain V-in V-out amplifier, what is its difference from an Opamp?

Just some questions to provoke your thoughts.
Cheers

OPAMP is equal to OTA+Buffer, OTAs always have high output resistance.

analoger said:
OPAMP is equal to OTA+Buffer, OTAs always have high output resistance.

Did you mean that OTA is a high-gain voltage-input voltage-output high-output-impedance opamp that is able to drive capacitive load only? Its name suggests some kinship with Gm, but it is really meant to be a voltage amplifier?

1) if you talk about trance conductance then output definately will be a current
2) In case of trance conductance input is a voltage and output is a current so both output and input impedance will be high
3)Voltage swing at the output will be depend opon the load

The ota output will be G*i
if you connect a capacitor load practicaly output will swing till the one side of the output get saturated

Status
Not open for further replies.