Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Developing standalone RTOS on PC Platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockskuller

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rtos for pc

Hello all,
I wish to develop a simple standalone RTOS in ANSI C without using any thread library or linux kernal. I dont have any embedded development kit. Can the RTOS be developed and emulated from a PC platform.

In other words can a standalone simple RTOS be developed for intel x86 architecture in ANSI C?

rtos stand alone

for making a stand alone OS you need to have all the drivers of each and every device
with memory management and memory protection for each program
so if you are capable of making hardware based programs for x86 you can make a simple OS.

when rtos is developed

Q. Develop and emulate RTOS in x86?
A. Yes (if you loosen yourself with word RealTimeOS i.e. not following the definition strictly)

It can be started with with writing a scheduler. It can be binary when you start then make it for 'n'.

A very good example can be uCosII.

RTOS has got its own constrains regarding the minimum time it takes to schedule a thread/process or any execution block defined by you in ur scheduler. This defines the 1 quality of RTOS. Lesser the time your scheduler takes better the RTOS you are heading for.

Apart from scheduler there are some other basic blocks need to be developed. Go and read any OS book or buy a uCOS-II book.

Also you have to develop some utilities and helper functions so that your RTOS o/p and input can be interfaced to the enviroment your are developing and simulating your RTOS.

Have fun!

pc rtos

Thanks a lot for your valuable pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back