Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect man-made hole on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidey5614

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Morning to all, I am working on a Robotic Guiding System for the blind, where i need to determine pot holes on the road, from a min distance of 1m. so any sensor i use will need to be aligned at a certain angle from the body of the system. So any IR or proximity, or ultrasonic wont be of any use, since the transmitted angle wont reach the receiver, due to an angle of incidence. Any help with this problem?

Thanks in Advance .

---------- Post added at 06:17 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

here is 3d model presentation of my device..

You picture isn't very informative, I fear. I guess, it's about moving a small cart in front of the blind person, carrying the sensor.

Angle of incidence only matters, if the road surface is flat related to the wavelength of the utilized beam. This is the case for ultrasonic, but not for an optical beam, that will be always diffusely reflected, at least in part. In my opinion, laser time-of-flight would be the favourite means to scan the road for holes or obstacles. It's also used for state-of-the-art 3D safety light beams.

I am sorry for the fact that my model is not much of an assistance, but the gist is pretty much so. A blind person holding on to the cane will be guided through busy areas, and roads. The best position for this sensor would be at the top of the cylindrical body. So from there having an angle to the road, the light will be projected.
In such a situation will it work. i am using an ultrasonic module at the top triangular portion for obstacle detection at a range of 5m.

What's the angle of incidence respectively the sensor height above ground?

175 mm approx

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

the sensor will be placed 175mm approx above the ground height and at an angle of approx 30 degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.