Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

designing a MIDI synthesizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

techristian

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First off. I'M BRAND NEW AT PIC CHIP PROGRAMMING.
My end game...to design a MIDI instrument that you could put in your pocket. For any of you that have checked out my profile link, I designed a synth over 30 years ago for the C64 computer. This will be more complex though, because not only will I need to create the "effects" but I will need to program the PIC chip to send out the various wave patterns that I develop. I'm thinking of using a single 55hz TABLE with each waveform and interpolating it as need be to create 5 octaves or better.

So for MIDI a BUILT IN UART would make it easier and at least 8 bit audio output would be nice. I might use PWM or a DAC ladder.

So.........my question.

I have a PICKIT 3 WITH ONEPIC MICROCONTROLLER PLATFORM.

It comes with a PIC24FJ256GA106 AND PIC32MX795F512L and it looks like the LF1939 8 BIT CHIP MAY BE GONE.(NOT SHOWING UP ON LCD)

Anway, should I use this experimenters board and which PIC would you work with of the 3 OR should I breadboard with an entirely different PIC chip??

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.