Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing 3.3V PCI card for desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.

I would like to design a PCI card for desktok PCs andd I want to use a Xilinx FPGA to make PCI target interface. The FPGA works UP to 3.3V, but as I can see the PC motherboards have only 5V PCI slots. I dont want to use a PLX chip, only the FPGA.

How should I make it? with bus drivers? It would be hard to control the busdriver directions with a correct timing. the PCI-IF core doesnt support it, as I know.
are these motherboards work with 5V signaling, or only the connector is a 5V type?
there are 3.3V 5V and multi voltage PCI cards, but on the motherboards there are only 5V type slots. In some places they talk about multi voltage cards and (with 2 cuts in the PCI card edge) and 5V slots (with one cut and its not at the screwing side, so it means: 5V slot)

Added after 1 minutes:

on bus drivers I mean level translating bus drivers.

Re: PCI 3.3V

use 5V tolerant Spartan 2 FPGA.
using TI Zero Delay Bus Switch IC. they includes array of FET and used in such this application.
see Xilinx Spartan PCI evaluation card manual it used Ti Bus Switch IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back