Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of the IP camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

what do you think of the manual design of the IP camera.. for example, if one has simple analog camera, then a camera is hooked to the ADV7183B DAC video chip, then the DAC output signals are being converted in the ENC28J60 chip, and transferred by Ethernet anywhere...

and then any device can receive those signals, and begin to work/display/process the digital real time video data.

what do you think about this project? and how effective do you see this?

thanks

It's much much harder than you think, you'll have to compress / convert the video to an AVI type format before you can transmit it via Ethernet.

You can buy an I/P camera starting at about $100US

BlackOps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for the reply! what could be the compression/convertion be done with? could a PIC microcontroller do that?

No a typical PIC would have nowhere near the power for real time video compression.

**broken link removed**
The 650pin FBGA has a sample price of $290

If this is a school project pick something else.

heh.. in other words, forget it.. :D
thank you! i saw it is a little more than 100$ to buy the simple IP camera... but stil cheaper..

You can look for camera specs on internet and their supported video standards.
e.g.
**broken link removed**

Actually dsp or fast processor is needed . Somehwere i so a paper stated estimating about 60 MIPS (if i am not wrong) of processing capacity for multimedia applications for low video quality . Yet it has to support camera IO, protocol stack for communication and other routines.
Todays mobiles which are able to send receive video are equipped with 100-200 MIPS processors. And have peripherial modules to deal with camera IO communication. I guess you have to start with something like ARM9 AT91 from Atmel to have a spare capacity and bunch of external memory for math processing buffering etc, and there will be room for adding features without worrying about capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back