Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of a VGA for commercial TV preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmpac

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all. Does anybody know how to design the typical VGA for a commercial TV preamplifier?
In the picture attached, i dont know if the trimmer (7 to 22 dB) is a variable resistor or a variable capacitor. How does it work?
Thank you.

variable gain preamplifier.jpg

Last edited:

You can see its got 270 degrees of rotation, its a pot and it will increase the bias on the RF transistors, so their gain falls.
Frank

I suppose you meant: if the bias (colector or drain current) decreases, the gain falls.
However it implies lower linearity of the amplifier (output IP3) and that's not like to broadband signals (like several 8 MHz multiplex of DVB-T).

no I mean that the bias increases, the collector current rises, the input impedance falls, so reducing the input signal, and the collector voltage falls. using forward bias for junction transistors is a good way of preserving their linearity (much better then reverse bias). its what we used on military pack sets, the current flattening out at 50 mA!!
Frank

Reactions: jmpac

jmpac

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back