Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

design loop filters of type 3 and type 4 and order 3 and

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswinkumarv

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
type-3 pll

I want to design loop filters of type 3 and type 4 and order 3 and 4.can i cascade two type 2 to get type 3

Re: type 4 pll

Are you asking about the order of the LPF or the type?.,
A type 2 system has two poles at the origin whereas a TF with order two has two poles anywhere.
Can you also make it clear as to what necessitates a 4th order(or type) PLL

aswinkumarv said:
I want to design loop filters of type 3 and type 4 and order 3 and 4.can i cascade two type 2 to get type 3

In order to avoid misunderstandings may I propose something to you:

Please, express yourself as clear as possible (in your own interest) and don´t use short terms (like filter of type xyz) which are not commonly agreed upon.
Instead, use the terms "active" and "passive" with/without a zero.
Otherwise, not everybody who could answer your question will or can do that.
Regards

I want to generate linear frequency ramp

Can you describe your problem in detail. I don't think anyone would have understood your exact requirement.

We are not in a guessing game. If you're targetting e.g. to a PLL design, you may want to tell it clearly. If you are refering to any available literature, you should mention it.

I want to track frequency ramp which is given to the reference input of the PLL.

Now if i use some N counter value I could multiply the sweep which i have fed in the reference port

also please suggest me literature to know more about sigma delta modualtor based PLL.

Well, a frequency ramp sounds a lot like a phase parabola to me. A type 2 system will track such a frequency ramp, although with a static error in the steady state (error gets smaller with more open loop gain). A type 3 system, as a minimum, will track such a frequency ramp with zero error in the steady state, (although there might be some ringing at start up of the ramp).

By type 3, I mean a PLL with two integrators (poles at zero frequency) in the loop filter, and the 3rd integrator in the oscillator's Kvco/s. To get started, I would just design it using standard Bode diagram conditions (phase and gain margin constraints). If you want to get fancier, a root locus analysis or Nichols plot will add insight. I would definitely add the divider's time delay into the analysis, as that might give you a steady state error and some interesting start up effects--i.e. keep the divisor ratio small!

But maybe you are using the wrong thing to track this? A frequency ramp might better be tracked with a frequency locked loop, not a phase locked loop?

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back