Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

design a 12 amp TRIPLE THROW light switch box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jef_a

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,
I need to design a control box for lights to be used in a theatre show.
The box will be foot operated, and control three lights (call them A, B , C)
--> Only one light is on at a time.

Ideally the box has FOUR buttons::

Punch button 'A' and light A comes on (light B & C off)
Punch 'B' and light B comes on (light A & C off)
Punch 'C' and light C is on (B & A are off)
Punch 'Off' and all lights are off.

Each light runs on 24v, 250 W, so drawing about 12 amps. I have had trouble finding TRIPLE switches that could do the job. Rotary are no use (impossible for foot operation), mini-toggles and guitar designed foot switches tend to be too small amperage rating.

At the moment I am using a simple system of three DPDT switches in a 'series' that are (barely) foot operable:

-switch 1: turns switch 2 on, or all lights off
-switch 2: turns switch 3 on, or turns light A on
-switch 3: turns light B on (C off) or light C on (B off).

Too much switching though.... argh! I need to be able to just jump from one light to another quickly, and without delay. Any ideas, suggestions to improve? Maybe a relay design? ... simple and reliable is preferred.

Thanks- jeff

You can use 3 3PDT relays but the wiring is a little complex or you can use some logic to drive 3 SPST relays. This circuit could be used as a control by wiring in your own switches and driving your relays from the LED outputs: **broken link removed**.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back