Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DCT - two simple conceptual questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharanbr

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DCT

Hi,

I am new to signal processing and currently trying to understand the DCT concept.

There are mainly 2 conceptual questions I have:

1) the dct equation is given as:

Xk = summation (xn cos ....)

Which can be expanded as:
x0 = x0 cos (0) + x1 cos (..) + x2 ...

Similarly x0

Here

a) what really is the effect of multiplying a value in time domain (x0 above) with a cosine function.

b) a single transformed value for example x0, x1 transforms are really dependent on all the values in time domain. Is this correct?

2) It is mentioned that DCT does the job of segregating the frequency components.
For example, high frequency components can be easily differentiated from low frequency components.
I am not really able to understand what is meant by high frequency components and low frequency components. For example, if I take a single digital value in an image, how can one corelate it high frequency or low frequency?

Can someone clarify?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back