Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc Vs primetime: reasonable slack or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaisopos

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

I get a significantly different slack in dc and primetime. Since I am a newbie, I am not sure if this is reasonable or I did something wrong.

the details:
I synthesized my design in dc and I fed the synthesized netlist to primetime (with exactly the same constraints file and the same .lib file). So, dc could meet timing for frequencies up to 500 MHz (2ns clock): for 500MHz I got 0 slack, while for 550MHz I got a -0.11ns slack).
However, primetime indicates that for a 2ns clock I have a 0.34ns slack, which implies that I could run my design at 1/(2-0.34)ns = 600MHz. I am aware that dc does very basic timing analysis, while primetime is pretty accurate, but does this account for such a huge (17%) slack diff, implying that I could run at 100MHz more? What do you think? Did I mess up something or is this reasonable?

thanks a lot!
-Kostas

hi again,

Are the info I provided incomplete? I am just looking for a "yes, its reasonable" or "no, it seems that you did something wrong". Can someone that has done something similar before just express his opinion?

thanks!
-Kostas

Hi,

DC has the capability to do a virutal layout, and with hints about the layout and correct constraints DC should be within 5% from e.g. IC Compiler.

To get accurate reports from Primetime you need to give the tool information like RC data from StarRC and a netlist with clock tree inserted. If this is not given, Primetime will use a wireload model for calculating the net-delay. Wireload models are usually very optimistic.

So you have not done anything wrong, since Primetime needs more data to be accurate.

Hi,

In case of PrimeTime,

set auto_wire_load_selection "false"

Thanks.

What is finally concluded? This is a really a interesting topic for me. Please comment.

CIE40 ;
Will setting set auto_wire_load_selection "false" will solve this problem/

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back