Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor Speed Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cenation

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have been given this circuit to implement. It is a DC Motor speed controller, with the LM2907 used as a tachometer. However, the LM2907 is not available in my country and would take too much time to be delivered. Could you suggest other ways to achieve the same results, i.e controlling the speed of a small dc motor.

Thanks.

Untitled.png

If your light detector triggers a 555 pulse generator. The pulse must be less the 1/maximum number of pulses/second. So when the motor is running flat out you have a series of pulses with a very small gap between them. If your pulses go from 0 -> 5V, then the average voltage is , 4.5 V. As the motor slows down the gaps between the pulses increase, so at a low speed there might be a pulse for 2 % of the time, in which case the average voltage will fall from the 4.5 volts (fast) to 5 X .02 = .1V.
So you now need an op amp to change the pulses into a DC level (large capacitor between input and output), alter the change in voltage to something convenient (gain of op amp) and perhaps, add in a DC level for the next circuit to operate with (DC offset pt on positive input).
Frank

If your light detector triggers a 555 pulse generator. The pulse must be less the 1/maximum number of pulses/second. So when the motor is running flat out you have a series of pulses with a very small gap between them. If your pulses go from 0 -> 5V, then the average voltage is , 4.5 V. As the motor slows down the gaps between the pulses increase, so at a low speed there might be a pulse for 2 % of the time, in which case the average voltage will fall from the 4.5 volts (fast) to 5 X .02 = .1V.
So you now need an op amp to change the pulses into a DC level (large capacitor between input and output), alter the change in voltage to something convenient (gain of op amp) and perhaps, add in a DC level for the next circuit to operate with (DC offset pt on positive input).
Frank

Good idea... I'll try that... Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.