Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-DC Boost Converter - High Current Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogbachi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
All,

I am currently working on my final year project of a boost converter. The dc-dc boost converter specifications are as follows:

Input Voltage-12V(can be adjusted)

Output Voltage-24V(can be adjusted)

Output Current-100A(major concern), use of four switch elements connected in parallel to achieve this.

And there is restriction to use basic MOSFET, IGBT and BJT as the switching element.

I found 2SK2266 for the switch element, please, would want to know if this MOSFET can be connected in parallel?

I also have the following questions to ask:

-how do i select my switch driver, capacitor, inductor, diode, and PWA generator?

-how do i get a better circuit to achieve the specification above?

-how do i connect switch elements to achieve higher current?

Please this is my first time of designing boost converter, need your advice.

Thanks...

The converter input current will be > 200 A, the peak current respectively higher, depending on the inductor size. Four 2SK2266 can theoretically work, but conduction losses are a bit high, one would probably prefer lower total rdson, either more transistors or a different type.

MOSFETs have a positive thermal coefficients, so a parallel circuit will be self-balancing and doesn't involve problems.

Presumed that you are interested to reduce input ripple current, the converter would preferably use a dual phase topology.

The converter input current will be > 200 A, the peak current respectively higher, depending on the inductor size. Four 2SK2266 can theoretically work, but conduction losses are a bit high, one would probably prefer lower total rdson, either more transistors or a different type.

MOSFETs have a positive thermal coefficients, so a parallel circuit will be self-balancing and doesn't involve problems.

Presumed that you are interested to reduce input ripple current, the converter would preferably use a dual phase topology.

Many thanks, i appreciate your suggestions. I would also want to consider different MOSFET-MTP75N06 and gate driver SG3525, what is your advice on this?

Also, how do i achieve input current >200A and the corresponding inductor size?

Will dual phase topology involve transformer? How do i design this without the use of transformers?

Thanks.

Dual-phase boost converter means two separate converters operated with 180 degree phase shift. SG3525 would be limited to < 50% duty cycle and isn't suitable for 1:2 up conversion.

You should consider high current gate drivers for fast switching, they are available from various manufacturers, e.g. Microchip, Fairchild.

Dual-phase boost converter means two separate converters operated with 180 degree phase shift. SG3525 would be limited to < 50% duty cycle and isn't suitable for 1:2 up conversion.

You should consider high current gate drivers for fast switching, they are available from various manufacturers, e.g. Microchip, Fairchild.

Many thanks. I really appreciate your comments. I have searched the web and found Dual 5-A High-Speed Low-Side Gate Driver-UCC27523, hope this will be ok? How do i determine my inductor and capacitor sizes?

Thanks......

Status
Not open for further replies.