Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] data transfer between PC & uC based on modbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliBahar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have created C code which performs modbus request and response. the functions that perform these tasks are wrapped in the header file and they can be called by main program on microcontroller. I want to use simple modbus software which creates modbus request on PC then the created stream must be sent to uC using rs232.
so far I have used ModbusMat software. it is simple software and it can communicate with uc based on rs232. but some problems exist.
the first: finding the ending character of sent frame from software is challenging in my c code. because the length of frame varies in different requests.
the second problem: for same data array the crc bytes of my code is different from software's.
do you know the simple modbus software which the end character of it's frame can be determined certainly?
there are different methods for crc bytes generation. which of them is most common?

I used the Modbus Poll to generate modbus request and both a device and configuration... after that I used the dotNET ShortBus library to develop my master on the PC...

on the device side, (after getting a hand with comercial hardware) I used the freemodbus in an AVR implementation which includes the dreaded CRC16 implementation...

about that, i think the CRC16 has only one polynomial of x^16+x^15+x^2+1 which theory could be reviewed here...

the first: finding the ending character of sent frame from software is challenging in my c code. because the length of frame varies in different requests.
How can this be a problem? Where each message ends is obvious if you decode the MODBUS protocol correctly.

for same data array the crc bytes of my code is different from software's.
Sounds like an implementation error.

hello

the modbus message contains itself the number of data ..after the ID,type of request..
so as FvM said.. if correct decoding, you can know the lenght of the message

Be carrefull with
- use of unsigned char for buffering the modbus message
- if parity is used with RS232 link between Master and slave!
- reverse order of CRC16 when you want to check it.
- CRC16 method can differ with some PLC supplier.. so MODBUS protocol is not 100% strict applied.

This CRC16 used with a PIC18F as master and slave ITB remote I/O mobus.

Code:
//CRC 16 for modbus checksum 
unsigned int  CRC16(unsigned int dataLength,char check)
{
// trame 01 03 00 0A 00 01 A4 08    envoi  avec check=0
// trame 01 03 02 02 03 F9 25       reception avec check=1
unsigned int CheckSum;
unsigned int i,j;
CheckSum = 0xffff;
for (j=0; j<dataLength; j++)
{
CheckSum = CheckSum^(unsigned int)buffer[j];
for(i=8;i>0;i--)
     {
        if(CheckSum & 1)
        CheckSum = (CheckSum>>1)^0xa001;
        else
        CheckSum>>= 1;
     }   
}
// attention rangement Checksum inversé
CRC16_Value=CheckSum ;  // for checking purpose 
CRC16_H = CheckSum>>8;
CRC16_L = CheckSum & 0x00FF;
if (check==1)
  {
  if ( (buffer[dataLength] == CRC16_L) && (buffer[dataLength+1] ==CRC16_H  ))
    return CheckSum;
  else
    return 0;
  }
  else
  {
  buffer[dataLength] = CRC16_L;
  buffer[dataLength+1] = CRC16_H;
  return CheckSum;
  }
 }

example of request:
Envoi Trame (Hexa): 01 03 00 03 00 08 B4 0C
Recep.Trame (Hexa): 01 03 10 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 02 F3 B1 40 CRC16= B1 40
8 Voies Entrees Analogiques 10bits :
EA0= 0 EA1= 0 EA2= 1 EA3= 0 EA4= 1 EA5= 0 EA6= 0 EA7= 755

Status
Not open for further replies.