Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAQ design considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete.York

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I need to design a DAQ system (for data measurements and acquisition) .
Does anyone can point me on a relevant articles about the consideration for DAQ design.
What should I pay more attention...

Thank you.

a few initial thoughts
1. how many channels do you need to acquire (1, 2, 4, 16)?
2. what resolution (number of ADC bits 10, 12, 16, 24) ?
3. how many samples/second (1K, 10K, 100K, etc) ?

what do you do with the data when you acquire it ? e.g. run it thru an FFT? write it to a USB flash drive? send it to a server via TCP/IP ?

I need it to be 16bit resolution 8 channels, with USB communication. And as low cost as possible. I saw many ADCs wrom different vendors, but the cheapest and the better parameters that I can find if from Analog Devices AD7689 , does any one have better and cheaper ADC in mind? Also how can I choose the simplest USB communication device?

the AD7689 looks a good choice for you application- how many samples per second from each channel do you require ?

for a communication device are you looking for a ready made develpment board or do you intend to build you own PCB.
if it are going to build you own PCB you could use the PIC24FJ64GB002 microcontroller
PIC24FJ64GB002

I have used this for a number of USB based projects recently (both device and host applications). It has a USB interface, an SPI interface (to communicate with the AD7689) and comes in an 28-pin SDIP package so is easy to make a simple PCB. Software and compilers are free and there are plenty of example programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back