Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Cuts : PCB design informations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandLack

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
One of the devices I need to use needs the PCB to be cut (and also two additional holes for the screw drivers). I'm new to PCB designing, and I've never worked on cuts...
How is it done? Do I need to define the shape with a new layer with it's own gerber file, or it is made shaping an already existing one, like the "Bound" layer (the one with the dielectric)? Also, what are the guidelines/rule of thumbs? How is it defined to a manufacturer?
Thank you for your help,

Best Regards,
LandLack

The name depends on the software but a 'milling' or 'routing' layer would be used. The tools are typically 2mm down to 0.8mm - check with your manufacturer. Some will do smaller - I have sometimes used 0.5mm. If it is simply a round hole then just define it as such. Drilling is usually cheaper than milling.

Keith

Hi Landlack,
I think the CUT you mean is the routing outline. You can just define the outline in a new layer. PCBs manufacturer will understand
BR
marvelpcb

Thank you very much; I just shaped the "bound" layer, and the manufacturer understood;

Best Regards,
Landlack

Status
Not open for further replies.