Not open for further replies.

mr_byte31

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

did any body try to make his own DSP board ? ( using TI DSP for example)

all the resources over internet was about buying boards not making them.

I would like to know how to can I build my own board and make interfaces with RAM , ADC , .....

This will be a nice learning curve for me.

Many people did - and even got paid for doing so...
Fortunately, some of them studied 4 years or more in a good university before engaging in this form of art.
These strange people are called: "Board Designers".

There're many (many many many) good resources on this subject.

In essence, designing a board with a TI DSP at its center isn't very different than designing a board with small microcontroller. The design flow is the same and you should follow the same good engineering practices.

I would like to know how to can I build my own board and make interfaces with RAM , ADC , .....
Everywhere I've worked for the past decade has made their own DSP boards. Be warned this is not as simple as making a simple microcontroller board. Think more along the lines of an advanced microcontroller board or a processor board. You also shouldn't try to make some silly 2-layer board for a DSP processor. You'll probably need at least an 8-layer board with power/ground planes. Most of the boards that have been made in-house where I've worked typically are 16-22 layers, but those boards typically have an FPGA or two on the board with >1000 pins have >5 voltages rails.

Hi,

"TI DSP"... TI has a broad range of different DSPs.
You should be more precise:
* What DSP?
* RAM. Why external, what interface, what size?
* ADC. Why external, what interface, what specifications?

Out of curiosity I´ve chosen one random TI DSP datasheet.
It has RAM inside. It additionally has a DDR3 RAM interface. IT has an ADC interface. It has a 625 pin BGA package.

Klaus

Along with the above recommendations, it is convenient to define exactly for which application do you intend to use this DSP-based project. If it is for image or sound, this may restrict the numerical notation of the ALU (float x fixed point) as well as the magnitude of the A/D, presumably external. In addition, for practical purposes, an external CODEC may also be required. In shorts, you have to be a bit more precise in defining the project scope to avoid under/over estimate its specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…