Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

custom li-ion pack charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhackman

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First of all, I should let you know I am looking for a cost effective way of doing this, and I have absolutely no exp. with battery charging and circuit design... But I'm handy, have done IC projects from kits.
I would like to make a custom battery pack from surplus LI-ION batteries wired together to produce a greater voltage and Ah.  The batteries are 7.2 volts, 2000 mAh, and I'll probably put them in sieries and parallel to get 21.6v 4000 mAh (6 bateries).  Then DC-DC converters to get my desired voltages... 12v and 20v (or transitors?)
The batteries are quite cheap ($3 can ea.) and I've seen some universal chargers that could charge the individual batteries, but nothing that could handle the whole pack.  
Is there a product I could buy? Could I build my own charger relatively easily?or reverse engineer one?
any help/thoughts would be nice!

Hi,

Please don't take this as patronizing, it's meant for your safety!

Li-ion cells are EXTREMELY dangerous. I.m not being over-cautious - you could lose your life from a fire or bits of you (like fingers or eyes) from an explosion.

I have seen examples of them blowing apart a heavily-built aluminium flashlight and burning the insides of the cupboard it was in, just because it was accidentally left on with unmatched cells in it.

Note the *Lithium* - it is a highly reactive, low melting-point metal (I am also a chemist). I have jars of the stuff, stored under oil. You don't want to mess with it. In a cell it is placed in close proximity to something it really wants to react with. If this reaction goes out of control, a *lot* of energy is released very quickly.

Li-ion cells are the easiest of all cells to charge, but you must get it right.

You must make sure that the cells have not been over-discharged, otherwise they can burst and ignite. This is called "venting with flame".

The cells nearly always have a built-in protection circuit, that protects them from over charge, over discharge, overheating etc. But some battery packs may have the protection circuit in the *pack*, so the individual cells are *not* protected. You can also buy bare, unprotected cells from some sources (like surplus!), although they are not usually made available easily due to the danger.

I have given you links to some protection circuits at the end of this post, but before that I strongly advise you to read the comments about them on the CandlePower forums in this link:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106242

These people like to use the highest energy-density cells they can get to run their eyeball-seering lights (me too!) and they have a lot of experienced people there. You will find a lot of info about Li-ions, safety and charging them if you search there.

Also, you must watch this video, and maybe the second one as well. It's fun 8O

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Here's a document about safety, then the protection links I promised:

http://proceedings.ndia.org/5670/Lithium_Battery-Winchester.pdf

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Best of luck with your charger, and don't burn yourself.

FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back