Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current to frequency converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisely77

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i need help to design an 4-20ma to 0-10khz converter.
any idea?

Hi,

search the applications of the major ic manufactors AD MAXIM LTC BB and more for V/F or I/F converters. You will find a lot of them.

roscoe

Of course the circuit need some improuvement.
I have used the following schematic ( used on the Marconi 2305 modulation analyzer ) that converts voltage to frequency.
You need in front of it to apply a current to voltage converter but i don't think this is difficult.

Otherwise use the following link to National applications notes:
**broken link removed**
Hope to be helpful.
Mandi

You can build this with discrete devices also...

The basic idea of such a converter is to charge a capacitor with a constant current [Q=C*U and i=C*(du/dt) --> dU/dt=i/C] and probing the voltage across the cap with a schmitt trigger.
Thats it. The more current the faster the limit of the schmitt trigger is reached. So all you need is a current source and a cap.
A voltage controlled current source is made for example using an opamp with an output transistor (e.g MOSFET) and an low ohmic shunt resistor. The feedback of the opamp is directly connected to this resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back