Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current souce vs Voltage source

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_sky

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
voltage source vs current source

Hi there,

I have a very basic question would like to seek a good illustration explanation.

I would like to represent the output resistance of a analog model by using voltage source in series to a resistor, however i have been told that modeling the output resistance by using a current source in parallel with a resistor is a better way. This has lead me to think about the foundamental theory of current and voltage source that i learned during my freshman time.

I hope anyone can explain for the following:
1. What are the differences between current source and voltage source?
2. What are the benefits of each of the source type?
3. Should we model our output impedance by a current/voltage source? WHY?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

current source vs voltage source

current source Vs voltage source
current source always provide a constant current irrespective of the load connected across it. So if i increase resistance voltage across it will increase and vice versa.
by ohm's law
While for a voltage source the voltage across the load connected across it will remain constant and the current through it will change as u change the resistance.

modeling
if u r measuring voltage across a resister (parallel) u model the output impedance as a voltage source
while in case of an Opamp current is modulated in the feedback resistor until voltage at -ve terminal is equal to the +ve terminal. Here output is measured along the branched path of the current source

In active device the current in it is modulated hence most devices work on voltage source[/u]

current versus voltage

however i have been told that modeling the output resistance by using a current source in parallel with a resistor is a better way.
Why? On a abstract model level, both circuits are simply equivalent. Modelling a real device, I would choose the model, that is nearest to it's real behaviour. A common drain output stage can be better described as a voltage source with series impedance, while a common source output is nearer to a current source.

Status
Not open for further replies.