Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current mirror problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

memsgg

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 5 uA refference current, I need 200uA current by current mirror.

can I use one current mirror with very large w/l (>100:1) to get this 200 uA current? Is there any problem?

thanks a lot

Such an idea may work but with a very major disadvantage; the reference noise will be multiplied by the same ratio yielding to a very large noise at the output .So, if noise is not an issue for you, you can try this solution .

memsgg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
as i see, you want to mirror by ratio 40 times , so as mentioned above, reference noise will be multiplied by the same ratio !! , increasing the size decreases the flicker noise of the devices & also the current source becomes better as its output resistance increases ( when you increase the length of the device ) if the noise annoys you , then you will need to put low path filter between the reference and the mirrors, this LPF will not eleiminate the flicker noise of the devices as it is usually at low frequencies and you will need a very big cap to reach this frequencies, but you can decrease the flicker noise by increasing the devices size, and thus you have trade-off between: 1- filtering the reference noise 2- when adding the filter this will affect the start-up time of the circuit 3- area

enjoy ic design :)

memsgg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ieropsaltic said:
Such an idea may work but with a very major disadvantage; the reference noise will be multiplied by the same ratio yielding to a very large noise at the output .So, if noise is not an issue for you, you can try this solution .
Yes, noise is an issue for me, then what should i do? just reduce w/l?

rather increase

you will desire a high overdrive for good matching,which would argue for large L ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back