Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Mirror confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onigece

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have seen simple Current Mirror ckt., and I noticed that C-B is short-circuited by a wire. How come that there is current flowing through C-B even if it is short-circuited? I am really confused on how current mirror works.

Hi my friend
Is your mean this?:

It is very simple , when you do short circuiting the CB , you will have a simple diode ( be ) . the be will be as a diode . and the current of collector of q2 is about IC2+2ib . if the beta of both transistors become very high the current of both collectors will be same with together.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

sorry , i forgot to attach below file

CM.JPG

And R1 is current programmer , and you can get the constant current that is approximately same with IC2 from Collector of Q1 to the vcc . BTW: your load resistor can not become higher that R1.
Respect
Goldsmith

From what I know, in order for a BJT to operate:

The emitter-base should be forward biased (current mirror's Q1 Emitter-Base is forward biased, so its okay) and the collector-base region should be reverse biased (current mirror's Q1 collector-base is not reverse biased but it is short circuited so its not okay).

I can't also just rely on the equations Ic=beta*Ib because for this equation to be true, the B-E should be forward bias while C-B should be reverse bias. And in the case of current mirror, C-B is not reverse biased.

It will be more clear if you can explain or describe in atomic level whats happening on Q1. I understand holes, donors, etc.

Again Hi
No , the Emitter- base should be reverse bias , or in the other hand , the base- emitter should be forward bias.
And about BJT : As i know i think the BE junction will break as a zener diode at rivers bias ( at 5.6 volt (approx)).but if you short circuit the BC , you can use the BE as a diode without that break effect.and you can use a diode instead of Q2 but the precision of the circuit with independent diode will be awful . we will try to use a transistor as a diode , because , the specifications of 2 transistor at one type , are alike with together .
So , see below , circuit please ( i wrote equations on that ):
CMM.JPG
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back