Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current handling of multiple vias

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak242003

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
current handling of vias

Hello all,

If we are using multiple vias...!via1 ,via2.. then the total current handling capability will be sum of all the vias !via1 and via2 ..) or it will be individual..???

Deepak.

Re: current handling of vias

It will be definitely individual. You have to calculate the No. of Vias as per the current flowing between the particular metals you are concerned. (i.e. for No.of Via2s, you have to consider the ME3)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Varma.

current handling of vias

In the case of V1, V2, V3... stackups you are limited by the
worst case current carrying capacity, layer by layer, not
the sum. Weakest link.

Re: current handling of vias

dick_freebird said:
In the case of V1, V2, V3... stackups you are limited by the
worst case current carrying capacity, layer by layer, not
the sum. Weakest link.

thanks for your reply....
If I have 3 meta 1 um each l each current hand of 2mA/um so taht the total current handling will be 6 mA.....

Should each via like via 1, via2 .. shoudl able to handle 6 mA or total via handling should be 6mA similar to metal.....???

Think of 3 dimentional layout view for these analysis.
OR
Think of water flow through series of taps and parallel of taps.

case1

A meta1 via1 metal2 via2 metal3 connection is like series of taps so current handling capacity does not add up.(i,e if each via1
can handle 1mA,and each via2 can handle 1mA then for this case total the current capability is 1mA from metal1 to metal3).

case2
metal1 (double via1) metal2 (double via2) metal3 connection is like series metal connection with parallel via connection.(i,e from metal1 to metal2 each via1 can handle 1mA so double via can handle 2mA. similarly from metal2 to metal3 2mA.
hence from metal1 to metal3 (a series combination) can handle only 2mA in this case.

hopes this can be applied for u r specific case to find out current capability.

saravanan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back