Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST - Impedance matching to imported touchstone / S-parameter file

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom11990

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a chip who's S-Parameter's I know and I would like to match it to an E-Band antenna. Of course, the bondwire will completely ruing the otherwise decent output impedance of the chip. I'm sure I can model the bondwire in CST, however, I'm not sure how to model the frequency varying complex impedance of the chip or the antenna so I can design an appropriate matching network. Is it possible to insert a sort S1p lumped component? What is the best way to approach this type of problem? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

cheers
dominik

At mmWave frequencies as E-band, the equivalent of bond wire is a very complex circuit.

At lower frequencies (up to couple of GHz) the bond wire can be modeled as a series inductor (about 1nH/mm)

I'm not sure how to model the frequency varying complex impedance of the chip or the antenna so I can design an appropriate matching network.

A good starting point is to model it as an inductor, and add shunt C on each side to form a low pass filter. That will improve return loss over a reasonable frequency range, compared to the bondwire only.

Time domain analysis can also be useful in some cases, to identify the location of discontinuities. I have an appnote on my website, but can't post a link because then vfone will start complaining about advertising :-(

Attachments

• localize_reflection.jpg
    localize_reflection.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 218

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back