Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Oscillator for PIC16f84A

Status
Not open for further replies.

ece4afe

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f84 crystal

Hello,

Can I used a higher frequency crystal oscillator for pic16f84a aside from 4MHz crystal? Say for example, an 11 Mhz or 20 Mhz crystal?

Regards,

Chris

pic16f84a oscillator

Hi!
Certain variants of PIC 16F84 can be clocked up to 20MHz.
check the number marked on your chip package and read the datasheet(last pages) to decide the maximum clock frequency of your chip.
if the chip is marked 16F84-04/P then it can be clocked only with a maximum 4MHz crystal.
Regards.

pic16f84a oscilator

for the pic, dont expect much reliable perforance when the crystal is more than 4 MHz, thats for sure

pic16f84 typical crystal

Hi Messa!
I have been using PIC for the past 2 years and have programmed their 8,14,18,28 and 40 pin variants. I have clocked them to 20MHz without any problem. The point is that you have to check wheather your device is the one that can be clocked up to 20MHz or not.
For this purpose you have to check the device number and read the specs from the device data sheet e.g 16F877A-I/P can be clocked to 20MHz. Infact all of their latest devices can be clocked to 20MHz e.g 16F676,16F684,12F629/675.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.