Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crystal, EMI and capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeb0

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I plan to use the mcp2515 ( can bus driver ) and I have to select an osc for it.

I have to use a crystal that have a frequency of over 40MHz. At that frequency, I'm scared about the EMI that I can cause.

What can I do to minimize EMI?
How to select the decoupling cap? ( is it the crystal load capacitance? )

The crystal I would like to use : http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CTX656CT-ND

thank you a lot for your help

Hello

Did you want to use 40 MHz for some external bus clocking?

If yes you may add a RC on a clock net (but not on a oscilator) circuit to increase fall and rise time of clock signal. It will decrease higher harmonics of the clock signal.

Best regards

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

The crystal will be used only to clock 1 component. He will be placed very near of the component.

Thank you

Hello
So you may implement shielding of clock net and oscillator. I mean ground plane under and copper plane nearby the crysta connected together through viasl. It's should be enough.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back