Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CRT TV blue edge of screen issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsholt92

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings

I have just bought a CRT TV Sony Trinitron from a local in my city. The TV is great but it has the weird thing where there is a blue edge on the left side of the screen. The strange part is that it only occurs for certain games. Some games the blue edge never appears and looks normal. The blue edge doesn't bother me that much but I don't want it to get worse. I'm happy to keep playing if the blue doesn't get any worse. I just wanted to see if any of you guys could help me out in identifying what it is.

Cheers in advance
-Tom

(I have attached 2 pictures).

Attachments

• 20160829_225956.jpg
    20160829_225956.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160829_230006.jpg
    20160829_230006.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 160

In CRT most common issues occur due to focusing of the striking beam which is controlled by focusing electrode but this does not seem that issue as if beam is not focused properly then the image should not be placed well inside the screen limits as far as I can see from pics your image is positioned properly and well inside the frame of screen. Second and most probable issue could be damage to the coating of screen due to many issues including physical mishandling.
If it will get worse or not i think it should not but I am not expert in CRT as such
I think play the game and forget about the issue best of lcuk

Thanks for the info! I think your right, I should just get over it. Although it is very strange that for some games the blue edge doesn't appear.

I am not sure if it does not appear actually as it may be due to the reason that graphics of those games are designed in such a way that this blue edge is mixed with the background and does not feel prominent as what I think it is hardware problem so it should stay. But play game and enjoy forget the problem

Agreed - it won't get worse.

The problem is to do with the color encoder in the game box, not the TV although some TVs may be more tolerant of it than others. The edge probably isn't blue, it is probably lacking any color at all.

Brian.

The problem is to do with the color encoder in the game box, not the TV although some TVs may be more tolerant of it than others. The edge probably isn't blue, it is probably lacking any color at all.

Brian.

I have seen this issue with the TV without games whose quoting of screen is damaged they show this type of blue lines on the edge. I agree that blue line is not actually blue rather it is not responding to any colors.

- - - Updated - - -

Brian.

I have seen this issue with the TV without games whose quoting of screen is damaged they show this type of blue lines on the edge. I agree that blue line is not actually blue rather it is not responding to any colors.

If you wanted, the Sony will have a horizontal centering control somewhere (probably inside) that you could move the raster slightly left to hide it or adjust the horizontal width slightly wider. I bet your raster is real close to the edge of the phosphor and normally is overscanned slightly.

Larry G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back