Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating Holes In solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed.elsabagh

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use a hole wizard in solidworks to create holes in metal sheet and plastic part, and then use matching bolt from the toolbox, the problem is I can't imagine in the real life how the bolt will be fixed without any nut, because I don't want to use nut due to the nature of the design. I am using DIN-EN 7046-1 ISO kind of holes, should I create spiral hole with spiral bolt or stick with the ready made holes??. It may seems a beginner question but it's my first time to do a mechanical design any help please.

A bolt will naturally tend to "stick" into the threads of the mating part due to the large surface area of the spirals making contact (they aren't perfectly smooth at a microscopic level, so friction occurs).

If the parts you are bolting together will remain stationary, then you can increase the "stick" (friction due to the surfaces of the spiral threads touching) by adding a split washer (sometimes called a lock-washer). When a lock-washer is compressed, it acts like a spring, pushing on the bolt and top part, which adds force to the threaded surfaces and increases the force required to make the bolt turn (overcome the static friction).

If the parts that are bolted together are supposed to turn past each other a lot, then you can decrease the chance of the thread turning itself out by add a thread locking compound (like Loc-Tite brand) to the threads. Thread locking compounds are basically a glue that increases the force required to start the threads turning. Rust works really good at keeping bolts from turning, if you've ever had the joy of working on older vehicles... it's the best lock-tite in the world, just takes a long time to form :wink:.

Are you unclear on the difference between a bolt and a screw (e.g., cap screw)? Here is a common distinction: Screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though a clear distinction can be made, the terms are often used interchangeably. I apologize for assuming your question had to do with how to actually draft the threaded hole (like for a cap screw). If your question is about clearances, there are appropriate standards for the various clearances involved and standard fastener sizes. Machinery's Handbook (as mentioned in the reference) is a common resource.

John

Are you unclear on the difference between a bolt and a screw (e.g., cap screw)? Here is a common distinction: Screw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though a clear distinction can be made, the terms are often used interchangeably. I apologize for assuming your question had to do with how to actually draft the threaded hold (like for a cap screw). If your question is about clearances, there are appropriate standards for the various clearances involved and standard fastener sizes. Machinery's Handbook (as mentioned in the reference) is a common resource.

John

No problem all your answers were great help thanks all so much I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back