Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPLD choice Xilinx or Altera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornstein2003

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
coolrunnerii current consumption

Hello, I am checking up some CPLD to use it for a design, but I am unsure what is the best choice. I favour Xilinx or Altera. I have an application where 8MHz clock are sufficient but power consumption is critical. When I read the datasheets, my impression is that Xilinx "coolrunner" have less current consumption than Altera "EPM240". Is my estimation right? Some comments are welcome.

coolrunnerII will be good choice if it suits ur requiremnt & cost.

CPLD choice Xilinx or @ltera

Look at MaxII CPLD from Altera. It has internal oscillator and user-flash.

Coolrunner2 is better choice. But it is expensive.
And MaxII's static current is higher.

If you need one design less than 64MC, you can choose Coolrunner2. If your design is larger, maybe you can check lattice's XO and MACH4000Z.

Thanks, for your comments. I think the userflash memory of altera MAX2 is for my application no real feature , because it is only 100 x progammable. The same for the intern oscillator, because I need a crystal-oscillator.

"my_garden wrote.
If you need one design less than 64MC, you can choose Coolrunner2. If your design is larger, maybe you can check lattice's XO and MACH4000Z.

I have a look to Lattice MACHXO384. In which way should be lattice's XO the better choice, because I need about 180MC?

Hi Hornstein,
If your design is about 180MC. For XO series, you can try XO640 or XO256. It is base on your design resource requirement. It is much cheaper than Coolrunner. XO256 is about $2; XO640 is about $3. And its LUT can config as ram. If you need memory, Xo is best choice.
Of course, XO's power is higher than Coolrunner.
Lattice's 4256Z also can fit your design. Its cost is between XO and coolrunner. Its power is same as coolrunner.

depends on ur design requirement

it doesm't natter which device you are picking, they pretty match identical. Make sure you have enough FAI support in your area, also make sure purchasing can get those parts to your production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back