Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could you help me to start FPGA programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theasus

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I worked with PIC microcontroller about 3-4 years.Now I want to learn FPGA programming.I searched net and I found a lot of documents but I don't know how to start. And I want to buy an FPGA development kit for learning.
Could you propose an FPGA development kit for starter user?(Altera,Xilinx....)
Could you propose any documents that is practical and easy to understand ?
Thanks

Hi Theasus,

Regarding Xilinx you can refer the help section of the ISE Software. I hope it has enough information to start. Meanwhile you refer the Xilinx website they have some AN for starting the Programming.

Regards,
Muthu

Dear!

First of all you should select a particular board and then best way is to read the manuals of it.It will help a lot but if you want general understanding of subject matter go through few topics from book e.g Design warriors guide to FPGA.The other way around is to learn verilog HDL programming if not yet,simulate and synthesize your codes using ISE (Xilinx) software and finally implement your design on test board..

Regards,

Some random quick links with some development board lists;

Cheap FPGA Development Boards | Joel's Compendium of Total Knowledge
Summary of FPGA development boards — excamera

Basically, pick your first few projects you'd like to do with it and find a board you think will fit the bill. Personally I am partial to nexys2 for older spartan-3 stuff and atlys for newer spartan-6 projects, but nothing wrong with the altera goodies. Just pick the architecture that is the best fit for what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.