Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could anyone please help me explain this RF circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuacp

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using Qualcomm Atheros's AR9331 to design one router.

But about the reference circuit provided by Atheros, I am confused with the RF front end part design of AR9331, which is shown

in the attached picture.

The following is my understanding about the design.

As shown in the attached picture, RFOUTP/RFOUTN are from the output of the AR9331, while RFIN1P/RFIN1N are the input signal

to AR9331. Part A circuits are the design of the Balun. Part B is the matching circuit between PA of AR9331 and balun while Part C

is the matching circuit between LNA input and balun.

Then why Part B and C are connected together? And how are they getting to work?

AR9331 Router RF Front End.png

Looks like you are dealing with two frequencies here. Path B is via a balanced HPF while path C is with a balanced LPF. Part A works like a diplexer and steering the signal (incoming or outgoing through the correct path).

Reactions: joshuacp

joshuacp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Joshuacp,

I have doubt on the design because Tx and Rx are directly to each other.

Part A : a balun and change from differential to single end input or output

Part C : matching for rf input

Part B :

C203 : Resonant with RFOUTP, RFOUTN pins and bond wire to remove reactance so that only resistance left behind
C181, C182 : matching + dc bias for PA
C66, C67 : coupling + dc blocK

Instead, the circuit should including a T/R swtich to separate Tx and Rx so that they will isolate from one another. A typical pin diode switch can give an isolation of 12 ~ 13 dB and it is cheap. The loading effect between Tx and Rx can significantly improve.
Tx-Rx.png

Hi,rogerynt,
Thank you very much. Your explaination has helped me understand the circuit clearly, especially for the part B.

For my understanding, Part A is a balun+diplexer. It steers Tx signal and Rx signal. Normally, Part A should be replaced by a T/R switch.
This circuit is to save the cost and just use the part A to replace a T/R switch.

I also warry about the isolation between Tx and Rx signal. But as the reference design of AR9331 is a very mature design, maybe the design works well.

Hi Joshuacp,

Part B :

C203 : Resonant with RFOUTP, RFOUTN pins and bond wire to remove reactance so that only resistance left behind

Instead, the circuit should including a T/R swtich to separate Tx and Rx so that they will isolate from one another. A typical pin diode switch can give an isolation of 12 ~ 13 dB and it is cheap. The loading effect between Tx and Rx can significantly improve.
View attachment 114082

- - - Updated - - -

hi,E-design,
Thank you very much for your help.
Yes, Part A works as a Balun+diplexer. It steers Tx and Rx signal.
Normally, Part A is replaced by a T/R switch. But here T/R switch is replaced by part A. Maybe this is to help to save cost.

Looks like you are dealing with two frequencies here. Path B is via a balanced HPF while path C is with a balanced LPF. Part A works like a diplexer and steering the signal (incoming or outgoing through the correct path).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, rogerynt,
Because AR9331 is a wifi Router design. As wifi is a time-division system.
So maybe part A could replace a T/R switch here.

Hi Joshuacp,

Part B :

View attachment 114082

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, rogerynt,
Because AR9331 is a wifi Router design. As wifi is a time-division system.
So maybe part A could replace a T/R switch here.

Hi Joshuacp,

Part B :

View attachment 114082

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back