Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copper and Stainless for a TEC cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

lladnar23

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm working on making a thermoelectric cooler with a TEC module that measures about 25mm x 25mm x ~4mm. I'm more of an electronics guy, and I'm woefully ignorant of mechanics -- so if anybody has any suggestions here, it would be appreciated.
For the 'hot' side, I found a nice, solid copper CPU heatsink (with a fan assembly), and I was thinking about sandwiching the TEC element between the heatsink and another square of copper, maybe 1/8" thick to ensure a reasonably constant temperature on the top surface.
I was looking at ways of securing the top copper piece to the heatsink (and making good thermal contact to the TEC in the middle of the sandwich), and thought that just drilling and tapping four screw holes in the corners might do the trick. Then I can use stainless steel screws, since the heat conductivity is low, to secure the top copper piece to the copper heatsink. Or possibly even nylon screws?
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back