Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coplanar waveguide simulation - hf3d error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslester

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS: Coplanar waveguide simulation - hf3d error

I am working on a coplanar design and am having difficulties simulating the S parameters for the two-port design. I'm just trying to get it working with a simplified model first, shown below:

coplanar-design.jpg
(This shows the first port, a second has been defined on the other side of the microstrip line; the multiresonator should notch out a select frequency from the magnitude response of the circuit)

The HFSS model with this design is attached (rename to drop the .txt extension). Because the design is coplanar, I believe I must use Driven Terminal to simulate. Port 1 is setup as a wave port, and I am attempting a frequency sweep from 3 to 10 GHz.

I get the following error, however:

HFSSDesign1 (DrivenTerminal)
[error] Port refinement, process hf3d error: Too few conductors were found on port 1. There should be one conductor for each terminal, with one additional reference conductor. Unintentional contact between conductors may cause this error.. (2:17:24 PM Apr 10, 2013)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (2:17:24 PM Apr 10, 2013)

Having searched quite a bit, it seems like the common solution is "use driven modal", but it isn't clear to me that Driven Modal would be able to simulate the coplanar circuit in the way I need it to.

I have seen the PPT on simulating waveguides, but it doesn't go into the details of actually creating the simulation and excitations ... it was useful only in the sizing of the wave ports, really. Do I need to unify the two reference side-grounds? What is the best way to do that without affecting the structure of the design?

Any thoughts on this?

HFSS 14.0.1

Attachments

• RFID-Spectral1.hfss.txt
    93.2 KB · Views: 88

Re: HFSS: Coplanar waveguide simulation - hf3d error

Hi,

defining a wave port for CPW even mode need too take into account different aspects such your CPW aspect ratio. A simple way to define ports for CPW is to use Lumped ports. I recommend you to review the following thread (specially the attached documents).

lhttps://www.edaboard.com/threads/21740/

CPW fed is only with lumped port or SWA connector. ! i haven't tried SWA connector . but it goes well with . lumped port..!
Dont give waveport...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back