Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converter for high-voltage Li battery back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Here's the thing. I need to design a battery charger for a LiPO battery pack which has 170V empty and 240V full. Charging current should be about 10A. The input voltage to the charger is 420V.

Buck converter seems small and simple (I believe I could get it running at 250kHz), but since the voltage drop is so big (420V-170V) it demands a really big inductor.

Anyone have any suggestions how to keep the charger small?

Best regards,
George

PS: Thanks to all for your help on my project!

Hi guys!
I managed to get a buck converter as I would like. It's a 250kHz interleaved buck converter. The output voltage is 170V-240V. But I need help with the choice of the output capacitor. Here's the current through the output capacitor 220uF:

9039kl.png

What kind of capacitor(s) should I choose? Film and Ceramic don't have high enough of capacitance. But I think electrolyte aren't fast enough or capable of such ripple currents. Any ideas?

Best regards?

Status
Not open for further replies.