Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert rs422 to 4-20 mA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Bechard

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Forewarning: I have very little electrical and/or signal knowledge so I apologize if this is an elementary question.

I am shopping around for an industrial linear position device and I've come across one that fits my needs physically. However, it outputs a rs422 (or 10...30V) and I want a 4-20mA signal. Is there an easy way to convert that? Is there a recommended standard # for an analog 4-20mA signal (As I said, I'm TOTALLY new to this signal/controls game)? Also, I know that there may be some resolution loss but I have some leeway there because the position sensor outputs at 10x the resolution I need. Thanks.

RS-422 is a digital interface standard (and it's voltage range isn't 10..30V). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rs422

So the signal has to be converted back to analog with a DAC. I presume there will be other devices with analog output.

Yes, there are other analog devices. So, I prefer converting the RS-422 to analog versus changing the way I receive.(well, not me, that's what the controls guy fed me) Do I have options? Are there standard DAC's for this or do I need to know any special info.

For "10...30V" above, it seems that the product spec one line said RS-422 or 10....30V and in another referenced RS-422, 10...30V (HTL). Another dumb question: so, what is the 10...30V (HTL) refer to. I googled HTL=High Threshold Logic but should that concern me?

Note on my main purpose and as to why I have no knowledge on this: There are some available transducer-type/LVDT-type linear measurement device with 4-20mA output .....BUT for ranges of 75"-120" they are very expensive so I'm shopping for alternatives withing the scope of the linear current (4-20mA).

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there are other analog devices. So, I prefer converting the RS-422 to analog versus changing the way I receive.(well, not me, that's what the controls guy fed me) Do I have options? Are there standard DAC's for this or do I need to know any special info.

For "10...30V" above, it seems that the product spec one line said RS-422 or 10....30V and in another referenced RS-422, 10...30V (HTL). Another dumb question: so, what is the 10...30V (HTL) refer to. I googled HTL=High Threshold Logic but should that concern me?

Note on my main purpose and as to why I have no knowledge on this: There are some available transducer-type/LVDT-type linear measurement device with 4-20mA output .....BUT for ranges of 75"-120" they are very expensive so I'm shopping for alternatives withing the scope of the linear current (4-20mA).

Are there standard DAC's for this or do I need to know any special info.
I'm not aware of standards DAC devices with serial input. They need to be programmed/configured for the specific protocol of the position sensor, so "standard" is a bit difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.